Our Church's History
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE
WEST SIDE BAPTIST CHURCH
One hundred twenty seven years have passed since the West Side Baptist Church was organized by a few German immigrants. Preaching services were held once a month, alternating between the Aaron Claassen farm, S.W. of Beatrice, and the Peter Jansen ranch near Jansen, Nebraska.
God’s mercy and care were evident throughout the early years of the church as it grew and prospered. In 1891, the Jansen group started their own church. The Beatrice group built a church on North Bluff Street, near the Blue River, After being flooded several times, the building was moved to the corner of Court and LaSalle, the site of the present building.
Probably the most striking example of God’s love and care throughout this past century was on March 1, 1950. The choir had been urged to be on time to practice the Easter cantata - 7:30 sharp. At 7:27 p.m. a blast was felt throughout all of Beatrice, ripping the church building apart. Because of what appeared to be minor delays, every member of the choir was late, and no one was injured. God’s protection was obvious!
Besides preserving the lives of His people, God made possible the uninterrupted proclaiming of the Gospel. Most of the work in the re-building was done by members of the church and Christian friends. No public solicitation was made, yet the needed funds were raised as God laid the need on the hearts of those willing to give.
The present church is a monument to God’s faithfulness to His people and to His word. Recent updating has been done to the building, and a fresh sense of enthusiasm has been evident. May we ever be faithful to Him by continuing to proclaim the saving power of Jesus Christ, until that day when He returns to claim those who belong to Him.